[Dixielandjazz] Jacques Gaute

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 14 08:57:50 PDT 2007

Brief tribute to Jacques Gauthe from Offbeat magazine....also a youtube
link.

A SAD FAREWELL

We were saddened to hear of the passing of Jacques Gauthe. The clarinetist
experienced a heart attack Sunday morning and died in his sleep. He was born
June 12, 1939 in Gascony in the south of France, and the services and burial
will take place in France later next week. Last year, Gauthe talked to
OffBeat's Steve Steinberg about his indoctrination into New Orleans jazz.
"Jacques was barely a teenager when he first met the great New Orleans
clarinet and soprano sax artist, Sidney Bechet," Steinberg wrote. "Bechet
invited Gauthe to visit him in his home outside Paris and helped him with
his clarinet playing. Later, Gauthe had his own band in Toulouse. At one
point, the New Orleans clarinetist Albert Nicholas played with him.
'Nicholas knew how to speak Creole Patois,' said Gauthe, 'and with very
close attention I was able to understand it.

"'Sidney Bechet and Albert Nicholas talked to me about New Orleans,' Gauthe
said. 'They answered my million questions about the city, their careers, the
musicians, the clubs, and everything else. I came the first time in the
summer of 1968, and I was hooked.'"

Gauthe and His Creole Rice Yerba Buena Jazz Band played in New Orleans many
years at venues throughout New Orleans amd around the world. He will be
sorely missed by the jazz community and his friends. Funeral arrangements
and burial for Mr. Gauthe will take place in his native France.

Here's Jacques Gauthe in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zfuD99ZsXE

Jane Lynch

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com <mailto:janie39 at socal.rr.com>