[Dixielandjazz] Ridiculous newspaper article

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jun 12 20:53:20 PDT 2007

Sorry Dave,

Wrong!

The Alternative Press reaches much further than the "dope-head"
market these days and there is no reason at all to scorn a major wing
of entertainment marketing when one is promoting Jazz. Just look at
the other (non-porn) advertisers that are in the SN&R and tell me
that they are wasting their time on a few dozen pimply faced teenaged
boys.

Check out this website: http://aan.org/alternative/Aan/ViewPage?oid=2086
Sacramento News & Review is a member of that organization.

By the way, just remember where all this OKOM music really started -
in the dance halls, brothels, bars and "the streets" - not exactly
the "accepted venues" for "polite society." If you study the history
of newspapers I am sure you will find there was an equivalent to the
“alternate newspaper" in those days, and all the bands would have
advertised their performances in such "rags " and they also probably
would be refused by the "mainstream newspapers."

(Full Disclosure: I have never worked for an Alternative Newspaper,
but I do read them frequently. The radio station I have been
associated with for many years has advertised in them and had some
close associations with a few...)

Dave Richoux