[Dixielandjazz] Rehearsal - what Ginny said

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue Jun 12 18:56:11 PDT 2007

Ginny wrote:
And while I'm on my rant.  Many thanks to those of you who come up  with
your
playlists before you are on stage instead of five minute  discussions before
every number during the concert.  I can handle it if you  want to take one
minute to review who takes which chorus, use hand signals  and change course
during the number, etc.  I can totally understand if, for  whatever reason,
you
skip a tune on your list, substitute one, etc.  But I  would prefer not to
watch
you disagree, reject each other suggestions of which  tune to play next,
more
or less take a vote before proceeding.  When you do  all that for several
minutes even the attentive audience does not hear you  begin your number
with
clear and focused attention.
100% agreement here. I think it¹s rude to plan the gig entirely on the fly.
There¹s always the odd song adjustment or intro/ending coordination that
needs to be made between songs, and that is normal and understandable. But
to negotiate every song...unacceptable from where I stand on the stage with
my hobby band, and unacceptable ­ I would think ­ from where the two dozen
people in our audiences sit too.  (Except for those who have fallen
asleep....)

David Dustin