[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet players, volume and King Oliver's band

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Sat Jun 9 16:59:00 PDT 2007

Interesting. Are these more open mouthpieces available if a
clarinetist chooses to use one? Are there custom mouthpiece
makes that would do this for a clarinetist who wants a larger
sound? Why isn't a bigger sound used in more classical settings?

Personally, I love the sound of the clarinet; especially if it's
big. I was just talking to Steve Barbone about another
clarinetist Buddy DeFranco. I think the low register(I think
it's called chamelu) of the clarinet is among the most beautiful
of all the woodwinds.

Mike