[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet players, volume and King Oliver's band

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 11 08:53:55 PDT 2007

You are right about the Selmer big bore horns.  I have a 10 G and a custom
Frank Wells mouthpiece and I have no problem with power but thinner reeds
are not generally the answer because unless the mouthpiece is really open
the reed will close when a lot of air is pumped through.  Also, high notes
become a problem with sounding in the first place to awful intonation using
a soft reed.  Notes above D (above the staff) are problematical with a soft
reed.

Reed / mouthpiece / horn / player combinations are very tricky and many
players just don't understand the dynamics of it.  I have been asked many
times what mouthpiece I play on but it does no good to run right out and buy
that mouthpiece unless you have the reed,  horn and facial structure of the
player.  In my case on Tenor I play on a Wolf Tayne 9 with a 3 1/2 Rico
Royal reed and a Conn 10M half nude horn.  Then you add my facial structure
and the way I blow the horn with exactly how much I put in my mouth and you
just might sound like me.  Knowing all this you might have an idea of how
much I hate buying horns and especially mouthpieces.

The big bore horn makes the extreme high notes more difficult.  I have a
problem on anything above E but I almost never have to go there anyway.
Personally I find the extreme high notes of a clarinet to be not pleasant
except for a fleeting run and would almost never be heard in a slow passage.
As a result I just about don't go there.

A few years ago I was listening to a Dixie group that was pretty bad but a
friend was playing clarinet who was a fine player.  I wanted to hear him but
the crowd noise (350 people) was just too loud.  The people were all
standing, milling around and talking eating and drinking beer.  I had to
walk right up and stand in front of the clarinet player to hear him.  He was
doodling in the low and middle registers and when he took a solo I thought I
was watching a silent movie.

If that had been me I would have roosted in the high register and pumped a
lot of air through the horn but I have a different idea about what should be
done in that situation.

My friend is a true artist and I loved to hear him but I'll tell you the
truth I wish there had been a mike on his horn that day.
Larry
St. Louis