[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet players, volume and King Oliver's band

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 17:24:19 PDT 2007

I've played Buffets (Crampon and R-13), Selmers(Series 9 and 10) and LeBlanc
(III).  I currently use a Selmer Series 9 made in 1964.  The Series 9 and 10
were both designed by Guglioto, who was the principla clarinet for the
Philadelphia Pops.  The Series 9 and 10 were identicle excpet that the
Series 9 has a larger bore and sound wonderful in jazz.  I use a wide
opening on my mouthpiece and a medium reed.  I've never had any problem
being heard in any venue.  You can check with Sheik Littlefield about that.

The Albert System horns and somewhat different fingerings and as a result
some passages with sound differently when played on Boehm and Albert system
horns; not unlike the issue of playing Bix solos on cornet without using his
rather unique valving.

I love Dorsey and Fazola on their Albert systems and enjoy the hell out of
Shaw and Defranco on their Boehms.

I think it is the musician that makes the difference.

Jack Bryce
One of Sheik's Minions