[Dixielandjazz] The original Yerba Buena sound.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 9 00:41:36 PDT 2007

> .............. I'd like to send anyone with a fast-enough internet
> connection a remastering of an "un-issuable"
> pre-Hambone's recording of "Dippermouth Blues".  It's un-issuable,
> because
> of the rough start and the few skips that occur during the earlier
> part.
> But the WILDNESS of it.  A YBJB expert who heard it a while back said
> "Now
> THAT'S how it's supposed to be done!"

Dear Fr. Mike,
Thank you for the mp3 clip of "Dippermouth Blues.
Although certainly agreeing with you about its wildness, I have always
considered that "Down Home Rag" on Fairmont LP 101 to be an exceptional
'live' example of the 1946 Lu Watters band.
I was fortunate to have an private acetate copy of this Dawn Club
stuff, years before the Fairmont LP appeared and literally wore it out.
  Some of  the music frequently outshone the studio sides.
Also have a listen to "Big Bear Stomp" and "Trombone Rag" on this LP,
all of which are from the same period as your mp3 - Sept/Oct 1946. And
all now available on Vol. 4 of the well-known Good Time Jazz 4-CD set.
What say Uncle Ed Coltrin?
You were there.
Kind regards,
Bill.