[Dixielandjazz] Harlem Blues & Jazz Band

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 14:06:46 PDT 2007

Marek asked about the Harlem Blues & Jazz Band and Joey Morant

I heard them a few years ago Marek, when trombonist Bobby Pring and Drummer
Johnny Blowers were with them. I had gigged now and again with both of them
and I loved the music. It was all early Swing style in the tradition of the
black swing bands (Webb, Henderson, Basie) of the mid-late 1930s. (Even
though Pring and Blowers are/were white)

Don't know what they play like now, but suspect it is the same. Bunch of
elder statesmen musicians who still swing with the best of them.

Morant himself plays a swinging style trumpet and does imitate Armstrong on
vocals and on some trumpet numbers. He is an accomplished musician who also
toured with Tina Turner and James Brown, as well as working with Lionel
Hampton and King Curtis, prior to joining the Harlem band. So he is a
consumate blues oriented jazz player.

If they were playing here, I'd go see them, if only because they are one
generation closer to the roots of jazz than most of us. But then we do not
always agree on likes and dislikes in jazz music. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone