[Dixielandjazz] Joey Morant

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Fri Jun 8 15:30:11 PDT 2007

Marek Boym asked:
"Has anybody any information on the trumpeter Joey Morant? ...
As I have never heard of him, I'd be grateful for information."
-----
Marek, I'm sorry to say but Joey is awful. We heard him play at Pori
Jazz last summer. He wanted me to listen to him and then to invite him
to my festival. Thank God, I listened. He is very energetic, high range,
but absolutely non-sense trumpet player. He blew off everybody's head,
the audience loved him but he turned around three times in two choruses
in When The Saints. And came back 3 beats earlier for the final chorus
in the same tune. He did the same kind of mistakes in Sweet Georgia
Brown and Bourbon Street. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there.
He is a very strongly self-promoting person - with his possible business
partners and on stage, too. He played high notes with not a single
phrase intended to tell you something, mean something. There is no sense
to listen to him, no reason to invite him. He is a clown. He is
interested in one thing: delighting the audience. Well, the majority of
the audience was delighted. But only with showmanship and not music, not
jazz. And that was to be a music festival, a jazz festival. And his
partners were Antti Sarpila and his guys on that occasion. Great crew,
VERY good musicians. Plus this clown. It was horrible for us - all my
band members thought the very same of him, so I think, I'm right in what
I'm saying.

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com