[Dixielandjazz] Ophelia Orchestra

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 06:24:51 PDT 2007

Hi listmates,

Last night I had the good fortune to hear the Ophelia Orchestra from Norway.  What a band!  They played ragtime and 1920s dance band tunes in an authentic and lively style; it was a great show with some deadpan humor from the brass section, and I recommend them highly.  The leader, Morton Gunnar Larsen, played a piano solo of Eubie Blake's "Charleston Rag" that got him a standing ovation from the many New Orleans musicians in the audience.  The vocalist croons beautifully in 30s style, and he looks a lot like Leslie Howard, to the delight of the ladies.

And they looked rather dashing in white tie and tails -- yes guys, it makes a difference!

They're flying to Sacramento this morning for a concert tonight; Saturday they'll be in San Francisco and Sunday in Bakersfield.  Catch the show if you have a chance!

Sue