[Dixielandjazz] Hobby Musicians

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 06:44:12 PDT 2007

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip)

> I think that hobby bands should play for things that would never hire
> someone to play such as church picnics or street fairs or a school event.
> You could play yourself silly on those kind of things.

WHOA BIG FELLA.

My band  makes a damn good living playing church events, street fairs and
school events. We get better pay there than others do at OKOM Jazz
Festivals, and/or OKOM Jazz Society events. Look at our June:

Gee whiz, we just did a Church concert last night, are doing another on
Sunday evening, and another on June 23 and another on June 30.

Street fairs? Did one on June 3 and are doing others on June 23 and 24.

School events? None this month, but 4 earlier this year and 3 in the fall so
far.

STOP AND RECONSIDER.

If we are ever to find a NEW AUDIENCE, these venues are where it's at. PLAY
WHERE THE KIDS ARE . . . That is the mantra. Keep repeating it and then just
do it. At Street Fairs, Church Events and Schools. And get paid.

Please don't send bands who play free to these events. They will screw up
the market for music as well as supply crappy music that turns the kids off.
To do that simply reinforces my continuing point that "We" are the reason
OKOM is not more popular.

Playing for free is fine with me IF YOU DON'T SCREW UP THE MUSIC MARKET. In
this case, it definitely screws up the market.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone