[Dixielandjazz] Loud music

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Jun 8 11:01:05 PDT 2007

 Clive Smith wrote:

 > Comments I have read recently about excess volume reminds me of a time,
> several years ago in New Orleans, when I was chatting with Doc Cheatham. I
> suppose, I said to him, that he must have heard the great King Oliver
> bands
> live as a young man to which he said, 'of course'. How did they really
> sound, I asked? He looked upwards with a far away look in his eyes and
> after
> a short silence he said ... 'they sounded like a huge church organ - they
> played so quietly'. Amen.
(snip)

Wow, a whole new prospective.  I always figured that they played loud like
the watters band probably did.

I would have liked to ask Doc if he meant quiet when in a smaller venue.
Because when playing a very large ballroom, without amps in those days, they
would have had to crank it up.

For instance, Zeke Zarchy told me about meeting Fats Waller.  Zeke was
playing lead tpt for Benny Goodman in a very large ballroom in Chicago with
thousands of people in attendance.  This was in 1936 or '37 probably as that
was when Zeke was with Benny.

He said that way down at the other end of the room, he saw the crowd parting
and an group (can't spell onterodge) was walking through the crowd, led by
Fats Waller.  Fats was carrying two suitcases.  He walked up on the stage,
opened them up and there was a complete bar set up.  He proceeded to mix
drinks for the whole band.

I wonder if they had PAs in 1936?

I'll ask Zeke.

--Bob Ringwald