[Dixielandjazz] Grady Gardenhire, young 'bone player

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 7 13:44:37 PDT 2007

Grady Gardenhire is playing with Cell Block 7 tomorrow night at the Golden Acorn/Dry Creek Steakhouse in Galt, California. Many of you have seen and heard the Barkin' Dawg Jazz Band and will remember him him...he's the trombone player. He is currently studying trombone with Joel Elias, Professor of Trombone at Sacramento State University.
 www.csus.edu/music/faculty/elias.html

 Grady's older brother, Lance Gardenhire, was the trombone player in my youth band, The Barkin' Dawg, and very sadly passed away passed way several years ago at the age of 18. Grady was playing trombone in my last youth band at that time, The Alligator Stomperz. He moved up to take his brother's place with the Dawgs, and has done very well. When I spoke with him yesterday, he told me he has all of Turk Murphy's CD's, plus Lu Watter's CD's, and a huge collection of Kid Ory...here's a young man who has that necessary fire in his belly for OKOM! When he finishes at San Joaquin Delta College, he's planning on attending school at Manhattan School of Music for an advanced degree.

www.msmnyc.edu

I hope some of you in the area can come hear him perform!
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, Calif. 95242