[Dixielandjazz] A Good Rule For Volume

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 7 18:01:32 PDT 2007

Volume means different things at different times.

Someone who tells you that you are too loud may be saying I don't like what
you are playing.  Have you ever noticed that no one complains when you are
playing let's say Glen Miller but play a rock tune and all of a sudden you
are too loud?

Some band leaders try to play one tune after another with no pause.  Bad
Idea. Give people a chance to talk if that seems to be what they want to do.

If you play for older people you will find many of them have tinnitus (SP?)
It can be painful and they can get pretty nasty.

Sometimes they play loud to overcome the crowd noise.

There is also such a thing as room resonance that will fill the holes in a
group.  Acoustic bands that play outside suddenly can hear themselves and it
sounds like you are all alone.  Unless you are used to it that can be un
nerving.  Bands try to get that sound which reinforces them but
unfortunately that is fairly loud.

I play with a loud band and the three horns have to really pump air and then
out in the audience they are just background for the singers.  I can play
extremely loud for long periods of time but I don't like it.  The leader is
afraid that if he gives us a mike we will over play the singers.  It's just
a lot of work.

I worked at a country club for awhile and they wanted things extremely soft
and finally I told the manager where the volume control was and that he
should set the volume.  He did, we played very very soft, we got paid and we
went home.

I am familiar with bands that turn things up after turning everything down.

We could go back to the old thread of why people don't hire bands.
Larry
St. Louis