[Dixielandjazz] King OLiver on Archeophone

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 30 01:01:06 PDT 2007

> I guess what I'm saying is, that now John RT is gone, we have no
> concrete
> idea of what he would've thought of the new set, and the new set, in my
> humble opinion, is not any better than his.

Dear Mike,
Who knows what John would have thought?
Although, I would suggest that he was well aware of what they were
doing.
So, OK I'll come out and say it.
I think that overall the Archeophone Oliver CJB transfers are
marginally better than the JRT Retrieval CD set.
Less 'muddy' on some tracks.
But certainly not as dramatically so, as the Jasmine re-mastering of
the BG Carnegie Hall Concert vs. the Columbia set.
Kind regards,
Bill.