[Dixielandjazz] King OLiver on Archeophone

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 03:35:31 PDT 2007

 Ultimately it matters not one whit what John RT would have thought.? What matters is how you hear the music.? Our ears all respond differently and whichever remastering sounds best your own particular set of audio input devices is the one to have.? I remember Bill Challis saying that the Pearl transfers sounded to him more like Bix than any other transfer.? I thought their high-frequencies were a little constricted but who am I to argue with someone who was there?

But it is all so subjective -- on what type of system do we listen to music?? At our ages many have had some type of hearing loss, even if we have taken good care of our hearing.? The difference between any remastering and the one that came immediately before it is splitting hairs.? But John RT was right, new remasterings should be done every now and again as the technology advances.? Someday, with the way things are going, the veil will be lifted and there will be the music in all its glory - clearly audible, free of hiss, rumble and artifacts.

I expect to see the day where you can take those Oliver, Armstrong, Jelly Roll tracks, and isolate the instruments by frequency -- telling the machine "this is a clarinet, this is? a trumpet, this is a trombone..".? Then you press a few buttons make a few selections and tweak a bit and the computer will then be able to print out written arrangements of the Red Hot Peppers, the Hot Fives and the Creole Jazz Band.? Of course, the better the transfer the easier it will be to isolate the instruments.? But i think we have the technology to have this fantasy-transcription program of mine operational today.? It would be a programming nightmare and no doubt be very expensive.? So until there is a demand for it in the marketplace I don't think we will be seeing it just yet.? But it adds just one more reason to the list of why we should keep re-transferring these pieces of musical history.

And as for those grooves being 'pathetic' -- I think there is more music hidden in those grooves than most people give them credit for.? I have a friend who does classical transfers and the sound he coaxed from some ca. 1916 Josef Hoffman G&Ts is amazing - you can hear pedaling, touch, and even the bench creaking!

Respectfully submitted,

Ray Osnato
Leader of the Marshall Island-based jazz band: Ray Osnato & the Bikini Lions