[Dixielandjazz] King OLiver on Archeophone

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 29 15:48:04 PDT 2007

> Fr Mike wrote "I think Mr. Davies gave us all we can expect.
> Beyond that, it's all conjecture."
> But Mike - it was John R.T. who said that he felt the restorations
> should be
> re-done every ten years or so.
> He felt that such would be the technical advances post his
> restorations that
> new versions would be valid.
> I have compared the Archeophone set with JRT's and with some original
> (Gennett) 78s and the Archeophones are superior.
> Brian Harvey

Dear Mike,
I'm with Brian on this one.
I'm sure my dear friend John RT would have approved of the Archeophone
set.
I certainly disagree with that isolated negative criticism of the
Archeophones mentioned in the earlier post.
The praise for the latest Oliver re-mastering is certainly not a matter
of 'the emperor's new clothes', which it was with the Columbia digital
transfers of the BG Carnegie Hall Concert.
Kind regards,
Bill.