[Dixielandjazz] The futrue - was Archeophone & King Oliver Sound

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jul 28 20:14:57 PDT 2007

what do you think we will hear in 50-years?
________________________________________--

Lots more key clicks, fingers sliding on strings and guys tapping their feet
along with various body sounds.  You can get too good.

I suspect that improvements with recording equipment will come in ease of
use, increased portability, more miniaturization and better ways to edit
sound.  I think it will be anything we want.  They are already making phones
that do almost anything.

I remember how proud my brother was with his first Hi Fi with a 12 inch
speaker and a tweeter.  That was in the 50's.  We've come a long, long way.

I have a Zoom H4 recorder that is incredible.  Small, great mikes built in,
fantastic digital sound, records on postage stamp size memory chips that I
can pop into my computer and edit then burn a CD.  It will even work through
a sound board or with external mikes.  They don't quite have it right but
the next generation will.  For example I don't like the way that it mounts.
You have to use a camera tripod.  Not good for gigs.  The readout is very
small.  Great for young guys but hard for me to see without a lot of
magnification.

We can now have CD quality that will fit in your pocket?  It's incredible
what is happening today.

There is a machine that can read with a laser the grooves on a record.  I
understand they are very expensive but with this kind of technology plus the
ability to sample sound and separate instruments it's only a matter of time
before they are able to reproduce almost anything with great fidelity and
even substitute one sound or track for another.

Want to play with a great band of the 40's.  Piece of cake.  Look at what
they did with Natile. and Nat King Cole.  The trouble with it may be is that
they will make it sound better than the original.

When I was a kid I was addicted to reading science magazines from the 20's
and 30's.  In them they made all sorts of predictions of what would be.
Like an autogiro in every garage etc.  I don't recall any of them ever being
right so it's hard to tell but I do know that what we can do is only limited
by our imagination because the technology is there to do almost anything.

Who would have dreamed 50 years ago that you could fly a plane into a
country like Iraq and the plane's pilot be on  a base in California sipping
coffee.  When his shift is over he goes home and the next guy takes over.
Science fiction?  No it's being done today.
Larry
St. Louis