[Dixielandjazz] "The Birth of Jazz"/Buddy Bolden Revival Orchestra

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 28 19:42:27 PDT 2007

Hi Everybody
                  I have had a few offline requests for information
about my latest book and the Buddy Bolden Revival Orchestra so I
thought I’ d post something for those who may  not have already heard
about them.
                  “The Birth of Jazz: Reviving the Music of the Bolden
Era” is not a detailed history like my earlier works but an attempt to
present a picture of the actual circumstances, location, audience and
time when jazz appeared in Uptown New Orleans. It also examines the
repertoire and performance style of the first jazz band.
                    In addition it tells the story of our formation of
the Buddy Bolden Revival Orchestra in 2004 to perform music of the
Bolden Era with authentic instrumentation. This story was also told
briefly in an article in the February 2007 issue of the Mississippi Rag.
                    The group was formed to give concerts of jazz music
of the period 1897/1907. As one might expect there is not a lot of
demand for such music in Australia but we have had some notable
successes presenting early jazz to audiences of traditional jazz lovers.
                     Unfortunately our attempts to put together a CD of
typical tunes have not yet produced a result. However you can hear
clips from live concert recordings via the website, where you can also
get more information about “The Birth Of Jazz: Reviving the Music of
the Bolden Era”.

regards
Dan Hardie
Check out the website at: