[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Bios - T.D. (not really a jazz person)

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 28 16:10:49 PDT 2007

J. D. Bryce Wrote:
(snip) Neither Goodman nor Miller were the
nice guys portrayed in their biographies (snip)
----------------
Not in the movie nor any book. Date apx 1952
Tommy called Sy (Oliver) and asked
"Is there any way we can reduce the size of the band?
Sy checked a chart or two and then made suggestions.
Next rehearsal Tommy, who almost never spoke to the
sidemen, announced "Sy said we don't need you, you,
you and you - so you're fired!"
----------------
---- Mr. Nice strikes again.
At about the same time
Tommy and Jimmy were playing the Statler Hotel in N.Y.
One of my classmates
(either Sam Most or Skippy Gallucio) got a call to sub
for Jimmy. Both these guys were amazing and young
perhaps 21 or 22 years of age. Both played alto, clar.,flute.
Who ever it was got to the gig about 30 seconds late.
To teach the late comer a lesson, Tommy called a tune like
"Oodles Of Noodles", rapid tempo key of E.
The sub (Sam or Skippy) flubbed the first few notes but
continued on thru to the end perfectly.
Tommy walked over to the alto nusic stand.
He then picked up the alto part and held it high in the
air for everyone to see.
Next, he ripped it up into tiny pieces and told the sub
"Now you can go home".
end of story.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com