[Dixielandjazz] T.D. (not really a jazz person)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 28 18:18:04 PDT 2007

Dear Al,
You say that the date for your two TD stories was circa 1952.
I suppose that as an old bandleader at 49 Tommy was allowed to be a
curmudgeon.
When Bud Freeman came to Australia in 1964 and again in 1975-76 I was
privileged to have been involved with both visits and each time we were
regaled with first-hand stories, some regarding his days with both the
Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman orchs.
As I recall, Bud never had a bad word to say about Tommy, other than
that he was fiery and tough. They were old mates and Bud said that his
stay with Dorsey (April 1936 to March 1938) was among the happiest in
his musical career.
You can tell this from his swinging solos.
However, others in the band thought Bud was old-fashioned; but Tommy
kept him on because of the solos.
At the urging of Jess Stacy and Dave Tough, Bud reluctantly left Dorsey
to join the Benny Goodman orch (March 1938 to November 1938). He hated
it - and BG. More great stories, but too many to recall.
I should have written them down!
Bud told some of them later in his little 1989 book 'Crazeology' [pages
41-45].
More stories can be found in Bud's other two books: 'You Don't look
Like a Musician' (1974) and 'If You Know A Better Life - Please Tell
Me'. (Date unknown, but written when he lived in Ireland during the
70s.)
When Bud left Goodman, he vowed that he would never work in a big band
ever again. And didn't.
All of which backs up Bob Ringwald and others; opinions of bandleaders
vary depending on the personal circumstances.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: How the heck did (not really a jazz person) get into the subject
heading?