[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Technique Question

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 13:16:25 PDT 2007

Dave Dustin and Listmates,

  Jim Kashishian offered some good advise. If you want to ask more questions about it, I am certain you will get more good advice at this website:

  http://tromboneforum.org./index.php

  Message: 14
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:33:21 +0200
From: "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] FW:  Trombone technique question
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

David asked:
I?ve been listening to a lot of Jack Teagarden lately. Those little
32nd-note ?ripples? or ?turns? (?) that he fires off frequently, how
 are
they done?

I would call them turns, myself.  I use them on occasion, but you don't
 want
to sound like a Teagarden wanna-be, either.  (There are plenty of
 those!)

How do you do it?  Dunno!  I'm worthless for explaining how to do
 things.
Methinks your chops are going to have to be in a flexible state,
 though.
You should be able to do trills (like fast, between E & G above the
 staff) I
would think before you could do those turns.
The trills & turns can be any place on the horn, but are easier in the
higher range.

Try practicing lip flexibility excersizes.  Play, without tonguing, &
 above
the staff D to F to high Bb & back down & back up (slow, then faster).
Then, move down the slide, chromatically, doing the same thing.  And,
 play
octave jumps (no tonguing) from Bb within the staff to high Bb & back
 down,
then A to A...Ab to Ab, etc. Octaves are good ear training, also, to
 help
you play in tune.

Maybe more learned souls will be able to add to or correct me, 'cause I
 just
play the thing, I don't talk about it often.

Jim

Gerald "Marty" Nichols
  Hear My Music at:
  http://myspace.com/freemarty