[Dixielandjazz] Bill Gunter

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 20 10:45:37 PDT 2007

Wendy and I  were shocked to hear the sad and unexpected news about Bill.  I
wondered why I did not get a withering broadside from Bill when I trailed my
coat over the `mentored` v `taught` thread recently.
Now we know.  Shortly after I joined the DJML I  challenged Bill over some
linguistic point and was severely trounced. Much later that I learned of his
background as a teacher.
Several years ago Bill and Bev came to the pub in Bath where I was playing .
Bill naturally happened to have his washboard along  and sat in with us for
a few numbers. I remember particularly  a very rambunctious performance of
Coney Island Washboard.The locals put down their beer and cheered.
On 19th October  2003 the one and only performance by the DJML INTERNATONAL
ALLSTARS took place at Astin, Oxford. England. The one tune was Backwater
Blues and the line up was Bill Gunter,wbd.  John Farrell,pno.  Judy
Eames,vocal.  Tony Davis,tpt.  Bob Romans,tpt. Andy Ling clar and myself on
drums .We performed with my sweat shirt, exhibiting the DJML Badge, hanging
from a music stand at the front of the stage. It was a unique occasion and
the photo taken at the time hangs on my study wall.
Sadly I never saw Bill again.. A good friend sorely missed by us both.

Pat and Wendy Ladd