[Dixielandjazz] PLEASE MR SHAW

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 18:41:07 PDT 2007

Hi Bob;

Interesting information, and new to me. Thanks.

I was relying on a quote from Richard Sudhalter's book:

Sudhalter writes: "Shaw has been forthright in discussing the evolution of
his own playing, particularly his uncanny control of the clarinet's highest
reaches. (Then quoting Shaw:) "In those days, clarinet went up effectively
to a high G (concert F) or A (concert G), at the utmost. Most players
thought, what would be the point of going higher? It wasn't written in any
of the literature so you didn't have to learn it. There weren't even any
fingerings for those notes, for a B or Db above high C. I found fingerings
for these notes."

Then quoting a conversation with Henry Duckham, Sudhalter quotes Shaw as
saying: "I couldn't compete with trumpets playing high D's and Eb's, so I
had to play high G's and A's and B's and even C's to get above them . . .
but if I were going to play up there it should sound like normal notes. I
didn't see any reason for the tone to thin out. I worked at it until it came
out."

As you say, it certainly sounds as if he was trying to give the impression
that clarinetists didn't use the notes above G4.

Interesting.

Cheers,
Steve