[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 18:34:14 PDT 2007

I'm lucky because in New Orleans, musicians still believe in helping out  the
new folks -- you never know when the newbie might be the one booking YOU for
a job a few months later.

My first few sit-ins (after I'd been playing drums for all of 2-3 months)
were at a little bar gig with Banu Gibson, David Boeddinghaus, and Tom  Fischer.
 I was scared as hell, and they played several  tunes guaranteed to throw me
off, but it was a great learning  experience.  ("Stay out of the way and keep
time." -- words I've taken to  heart.)  On some of those first opportunities,
I got to play along with Bob  Havens, Tim Laughlin, and Jon-Erik Kellso (not
all at the same time) -- now  that's guaranteed to make a beginner nervous!

In my case, a mentor is not the same thing as a teacher.  Teachers  help you
learn your instrument; mentors help you learn about much more.   I've never
had a drum lesson from New Orleans musicians, but I have gotten lots  of
practical advice about playing with a band, the sound that they're trying to
achieve, local musical traditions, and the music business in general.

But no one ever was unkind or suggested that I'd be better off waiting
tables.  Although I just started teaching myself C-melody sax, so that  might
change if I ever get up the nerve to play it in public....

Sue

Marty wrote:

>Larry and list,
>The dissatisfaction that I feel about "sitting  in" I believe comes from
having to "expose" one's abilities in the >worst  possible situation, i.e.,
"sitting in" with musicians who may or may not provide  one with an >accompaniment
that will provide a suitable presentation for you.  And not getting paid just
emphasizes  this >disadvantage. At least on a  paying gig,