[Dixielandjazz] Good sets.... good tunes....

GWW174 at aol.com GWW174 at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 20:40:20 PDT 2007

I am not a musucian.... just an audio engineer... but tonight listening to
Cyrus radio in a local restaurant playing old Sinatra music I had a 'revalation'
of probably the most important part of a song... a performance... a set...
and even a festival  Sinatra was singing his "my way" and you could hear the
song build and build to a great end.

It dawned on this non-musician listener that one of the 'big secrets' of a
great band ...and also a great song... is that they start out GOOD... and
throughout a song or a set they somehow manage to get better and better and
better.... they build to a crescendo - particularly during a set and by the end of
their set, the audience is 'in their hands' wanting more and more and more.  And
as PT Barnam once said 'quit while leaving the audience screaming for more'.

I have thought about some of the great bands on the festival ckt over the
years.... Garden Ave Seven was good at this..Nightbloomers are good at it...
Today's Coronet Chop Suey, Titan Ave Seven and others are all 'masters' with
starting out strong and building the set to a roaring climax - hence their success
with their audiences and n the festival circuit.  I'm not old enough to
remember the bands of the 30's, and 40's but I ams ure their are some 'historians'
out there who can prove or disprove this observation.  The songs as well as the
sets all build to a crescendo - all done with music.  and that's talent for
sure.  Not sure if this can be gaught or learned but must be 'felt' from within
the soul.  any thoughts or comments?

Gordon of Northridge.

PS. you can't start out a set playing mediocre orpoorly and then suddenly get
good or tolerable at the end.  That's not the same and WILL NOT WORK.