[Dixielandjazz] Mentor / Mentored - Teacher / Pupil

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 08:24:02 PDT 2007

on 7/10/07 10:24 AM, pat ladd at pj.ladd at btinternet.com wrote:

> Isn't the very essence of the thread that; All Mentors are teachers, BUT not
> all teachers are Mentors? (OPINION)>.
>
> Hi  Steve
>
> as far as it goes I would agree. That is the very nub.
>
> Mentored?  No!.  The recipient of the mentors wisdom is a `pupil` and the
> pupil  is `taught`   Never..never..(shudder)...`.mentored`

Dear Pat:

WOT? I guess that's the difference between English as spoken in the mother
country and American as spoken by us rebels. :-) VBG (a little humor)

For a sample of "mentored" as used by Americans, see:

http://www.whomentoredyou.org/

It is just one of 2 million 600 thousand (2,600,000) hits you get on google
if you search "Mentored" , with those quotation marks around it to limit the

AND the word is now used by the BBC in the mother country. The below quote
is from:  <news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6373029.stm>

"The document revealed for the first time allegations that he was mentored
by alleged UK shoe bomber Richard Reid in Afghanistan."

Time is passing us by, old friend. And time is passing the written
dictionaries by. Ain't Al Gore's internet invention wonderful?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone