[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit ins

Edmetzsr at aol.com Edmetzsr at aol.com
Mon Jul 9 15:42:32 PDT 2007

In a message dated 7/9/2007 1:11:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
larrys.bands at charter.net writes:

We have had Jazz Big band contests but has anyone else done this before on an
individual or small group basis?

Larry, each year, the Treasure Coast Jazz Society awards substantial cash
prizes ($ thousands) to the "best" High School Jazz Musicians to apply toward
their College Treasure Chest.
    For the past two years (in late March or early April), I've been asked to
serve as a judge for the "auditions", along with another local musician more
oriented toward the more contemporary forms of jazz.
    The award(s) can be made to one, two or three of the students at the
discretion of the judges, with a review of the liaison person from the TCJS.
    In the two years of my term, the decision of the judges has not been
terribly difficult. No more than 6 students show up although they are encouraged
to do so by their band directors. The band directors seem to know which kids
have the kind of skills necessary to compete, at that age group. So far, we've
had graduating seniors only to judge.
    The real talent jumps right out, because the kids have to play at least
one number with some local pros. This year we had Red Hawley on drums, the
other judge on guitar and me on piano, and a local bass player, often Rabbit
Simmons. This was something that Parke Frankenfield was heavily involved with for
many years before his passing.
    Although the students get through their rehearsed selections quite well
(allowing for some jitters), like a Coltrane tune or a Bossa Nova, when it
comes time to play along with the pros, even on a simple blues like C Jam Blues,
they come apart. Last year, one young trumpet player played the heck out of a
difficult Myles Davis tune, but then sounded like a beginning freshman when it
came time to play along with a group - no ideas, no tone, no feel for chord
changes, etc. We were all embarrassed for him.
    So there you are. They all practice, practice, practice or their band
leaders wouldn't send them (more than a dozen High Schools are invited - private
as well as public) and they come in being able to play at a relatively skilled
level. However, most of them really fall down when it comes for knowing how
to play with a group, how to support other members of the group, and as for
repertoire - wow!!! Myles, Coltrane, are well represented. As for Bechet, Louis,
Bix, et al, WHO ARE THEY? That's a teacher problem in this day and age in my
opinion.
    When my son Eddie (who is well known to folks on this list) did his
senior recital for his Jazz Performance degree more than 20 years ago, he asked me
to join in and we did a bunch of obscure Benny Goodman things. The faculty was
astonished. In his 4 years at the school which included his stint with Count
Basie, never did any of his course work include taking a look at pre WWII
jazz. Imagine, a degree in Jazz Performance with no exposure to early jazz,
ragtime, or swing. Little wonder that today's high school teachers are not passing
along our great legacy. They don't have a clue!!!
    Time to quit!!
Ed Metz (Sr.)