[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit ins

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Sun Jul 8 18:41:33 PDT 2007

I'm inclined to agree with Ed.  My son got a degree in Music Education at
the University of Maryland, College Park.  He studied jazz performance with
Chris Vidala; a superb alto sax soloist who played and recorded with Chuck
Mangione. But in 4 years, he studied no trad at all.  It was all modern;
post WW II to the present.

I am certain that the reason high school jazz band directors select the
repertoire they do, is because that's what they've been exposed to at
college.  I played a gig with one of the heads of the UMD music department,
a tuba player. I asked him about why the kids aren't exposed to Eddie
Sauter, Jerry Grey, Bill Challis and the other trad arrangers. He really
didn't have an answer. The only Jerry Grey they play is "In the Mood."  They
all know that one!

My son is a fine sax player, but still is a bit at sea when it comes to the
trad repertoire.  He's used to playing tunes where there are perhaps 3 or 4
chord changes.  He gets in to Coltrane, exotic tri-tone substitutions and
altissimo passages. Sujperb technique with variations and extended solos.
But essentially, it does nothing for me. I need to hear changes and
direction in solos.

Jack Bryce
Soon to be back in Jersey, Ed!