[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In and Practice

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 11:29:50 PDT 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote:

> " Steve Barbone's entire last paragraph (Not snipped, not taken out of
> context)
> reads"
>
> """""
> Bottom line? The only way to become a competent jazz musician is to perform
> live with a professional band and ANY young person who wants to explore that
> avenue should get the chance as I see it.
> """""
>
> What ever happened to "practice, practice, practice?"

Nothing happened to it. You can add it if you want.

> Steve, are you sure that:
>
> "The only way to become a competent jazz musician is to perform live with a
> professional band...?"

Yes. That is my opinion.

> Perhaps you meant
>
> "Getting a chance to perform live with professional musicians is a big help
> to young musicians on their way to becoming competent professionals
> themselves.  However, there is no substitute for Practice, practice,
> practice."?

No, I said exactly what I meant. Practice is/was, a different subject. IMO
practice by oneself, or with jazz musicians who are not competent, will not
help make one a competent jazz musician anymore than performing live with a
professional band will, without prior practicing. They are both important.

By the same token, however, again IMO, if one wants to become a competent
jazz musician, one must perform, live, with professional jazz bands. I would
call that "paying dues", simple as that.

Those who disagree with that statement might offer examples of competent
jazz musicians who didn't perform live with professional bands.

IMO, what practice, by itself, does is improve your technique on the axe.
Live performances with a professional band are much more important to
developing one's full musical potential as a jazz musician. (again IMO)

You and I may be splitting hairs as to what constitutes a professional band.
But that's another discussion entirely. My basic thoughts (but not limited
to these) about "professional Jazz Bands" are that they play jazz for money
and they have an audience that will pay to see them perform.

If I had to do the post all over again, I would have prefaced it with IMO
(IN MY OPINION). But then, I always thought that everything posted by folks
on chat lists are merely opinions unless otherwise stated.

That way folks would be disagreeing with opinions, rather than bitching and
moaning about attitudes, blanket statements and other such trivial nonsense.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone