[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit ins

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jul 9 11:07:35 PDT 2007

Larry Walton writes:

 >I have been involved in judging and taking kids to contests for years.
The problem is there are no Jazz contests where a student gets individual
written comments and a rating and there are no contests for small combos
only Big Bands.

> One of the problems is that jazz is so subjective and is a matter of taste
> therefore hard to judge.  I think that a jazz solo small ensemble contest
> would be a good thing.
>
> We have had Jazz Big band contests but has anyone else done this before on
> an individual or small group basis?
(snip)

Larry,

Yes.  The Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society has had for 2-years, the Trad
Jazz Youth Festival.  We will have the third annual next Feb.  We have
judges, adjudicators, etc.

It has been tremendously successful.

See:

http://www.sacjazz.org/youthfestival/