[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit ins

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 9 09:15:49 PDT 2007

I have been involved in judging and taking kids to contests for years.  The problem is there are no Jazz contests where a student gets individual written comments and a rating and there are no contests for small combos only Big Bands.

One of the problems is that jazz is so subjective and is a matter of taste therefore hard to judge.  I think that a jazz solo small ensemble contest would be a good thing.

We have had Jazz Big band contests but has anyone else done this before on an individual or small group basis?

Larry
St. Louis