[Dixielandjazz] OKOM mentors and teachers

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Sun Jul 8 08:39:20 PDT 2007

In the Boston area, no one looms so large as Larry Zuk.

Now in his 80s, he plays tuba and other horns, banjo, piano, and leads a band -- the New
New Orlean Jazz Band, that frequently performs around the Boston area.

http://www.neffa.org/grid/perfs/The_New_New_Orleans_Jazz_B.html

He has been leading a Concord, MA evening school program for one and all for years.
Emphasis is on pre-'30s playing styles.

Students range in age from old farts like me down to people in their 30s and up.  $50 per
semester tuition.

Each weekly class session runs for 2 hours, and is (my impression) essentially a jam session
plus a lecture by Larry on some aspect of playing, improvising, etc.  Larry frequently critiques
performances by students, for the edification of all.

Larry underwent open-heart surgery at the Lahey Clinic last week, and will be quite a while in
recovery.  Will remain at Lahey for another week or so, then will be moved to an assisted-
living facility until he is released to his daughter's care at his home in Concord.

He cannot initiate phone calls from Lahey, but he can receive them.  I spoke with him by
phone this morning.

He enjoys receiving calls from friends old and young.  If you've known him in the past, give
him a call at 781 744 5100.

Larry Swain
Backup piano player of last resort, Boston area (have worked many gigs with Larry's main
band and offshoot groups)