[Dixielandjazz] Blanket Statements?

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Jul 6 16:18:49 PDT 2007

There are many musicians who mentor younger players who are coming up.
That's been the tradition in jazz as long as there has been jazz.
Unfortunately, there haven't been any studies to determine whether or not
this tradition has declined for Dixieland or jazz as a whole. Regarding
Dixieland, there are fewer players today and even fewer younger musicians
seeking to learn this genre of jazz.

I doubt if any of us can state for certain whether or not this tradition is
in decline or not. In Southern California, mentors abound from George
Probert to Chet Jaeger and the other members of the Nightblooming Jazzmen,
Richard Simons and others in this community as well.

The problem is compounded by the fact that there are fewer venues where
Dixieland is played.

Perhaps Steve would like to create a registry for mentors and those seeking
to learn.

Stan
Stan Brager