[Dixielandjazz] Working with youngsters

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Sat Jul 7 18:05:01 PDT 2007

 The Lukasiks (Sally and Joe of Buffalo Ridge band) are good to take time to
talk to kids.  They are both teachers (at one level or the other) in the
first place. That might make a difference.

Back when I was a high school band director and taking kids to concerts, I
was always amazed at how willing name people were to talk and spend time
with kids.  I would have the kids walk up and talk to band members and ask
questions (and have a good question prepared to start off. Not just walk up
and stutter.  That helps.)  They were seldom turned down or avoided.

Big names, too. Doc Severinsen spent almost two hours (after a full gig)
with one of my boys one night, working with the kid on technique and
embouchure.  The boy is now a professional trumpet player, by the way.  Gary
Burton completely stopped a workshop and spent a great deal of time working
with one of my kids on a four mallet passage the kid was trying to master.
That kid now has a sound studio in Vegas -- my impression is that it's a
pretty big operation.  He also played professionally for several years.

Cannonball Adderly heard some of my boys play and called them up to play
with his group in a concert, then stopped and recognized their parents (and
offer to pay for a motel room for another night if "they thought the result
might be more kids who played like this") and recognized me in front of
about 2500 people.  That was pretty cool.

Count Basie, Stan Kenton (of course!) the Hi Los, Dave Brubeck, and others
all had time to answer questions, demonstrate and share ideas. Lots more,
but those are some of the main ones.

Mart

Martin D. McKay (who hasn't always been) Designated Listener