[Dixielandjazz] Scousers

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 11:23:52 PDT 2007

I first heard the term many years ago but admittedly hadn't heard it at all
lately until my granddaughter's partner offered to cook us some "lobscouse".
Intrigued I did a Google search and found:
Scouse was originally a sailor's dish of boiled meat, vegetables, and
hardtack. The word is a shortened form of lobscouse, from the north German
Labskaus, which is a similar seafarers' dish. The dish is also known in Norway  as
'lapskaus', in Sweden as 'lapskojs' and in Denmark as 'labskovs'. It has  given
its name to the Liverpool dialect of English and to those who speak it,
Scousers. From the late lamented TV soap Brookside I got the impression that  most
Liverpudlians are known as "scallies" - short for scallywag, and, I hasten  to
add, a vile slander! on upstanding citizens!
Brian Wood