[Dixielandjazz] George Melly NY TIMES OBIT

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 11:13:38 PDT 2007

Steve
I first new George way back when he sang with Mick Mulligan (who was
immortalised on meeting Louis on arrival in London when Louis asked to borrow  his
horn for a toot and afterwards remarked that Mick should remove the saveloys
from that thing. In those early days George was thin and extremely nervous, thus
 accounting for mannerisms as a cover which later became part of the act.
George  had the good sense to have John Chilton to lead his band for many, many
years.  Known best as a writer (Who's Who of Jazz, etc.)John was a fine
trumpeter.  Unusually George Melly and the John Chilton Feetwarmers had an annual gig
at the  Ronnie Scott Club in Soho: a bit like George Lewis playing at
Birdland. As a  mature student at university I was present when George came to
lecture on  Magritte. Afterwards there were a gaggle of earnest youngsters asking
about art  when I took him by surprise by mentioning happy days at the Cooks
Ferry Inn (a  prominent jazz hostelry) before he broke into a huge smile.
Incidentally, I rate  his autobiographical trilogy on a par with Eddie Condon's We
Called It Music: so  very very funny! In truth George's vocal talents were
modest but his  understanding of the blues and his huge personality made him
something rare and  precious.
Brian Wood