[Dixielandjazz] Mentors

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 12:15:07 PDT 2007

The very definition of "mentor" was the late Glenn Dodson. While principal
trombone of the Philadelphia Orchestra, he also taught "low brass" at Curtis
Institute of Music in Philadelphia. He mentored a lot of classical players,
including Joe Alessi, now principal trombone of the NY Philharmonic.

Taught him at Curtis, brought him home frequently to listen to the masters,
taught him, one on one there, got him the gig at the Philadelphia after
graduation as 2nd trombone. helped get him the top chair at the NY Phil, a
few years later, etc.

He was personally involved with doing this for many of the top trombone
players today in the USA. After he retired, he continued to go to Curtis as
a coach. Wrote/arranged music for the low brass students until the day he
died. Got them jobs, introduced them to the top conductors, like Muti et al,
held recitals for them, etc., etc.

All at his own expense, no fees involved. He also helped jazz trombonists at
no charge as Doug Finke of Independence Hall Jazz Band will verify.

His work as a mentor became apparent when at Curtis for a concert dedicated
to him after his passing, 13 of the finest Trombonists in the USA, 5
principals etc., traveled to Curtis, some from 3000 miles away, for that
concert to honor his legacy by performing. And quite a few more were in the
audience, both classical and jazz players.

No doubt I don't about know a lot of people who teach kids, but then, I
don't know anyone else who who mentored young musicians the way Glenn did.

I don't want to take anything away from the teachers, what they do is
laudable. I do want to state, however, that mentors are another breed
entirely. And few do as much as Glenn did to help the music live and the
young players reach their full potential over the years.

It was poignant indeed that he passed away in Joe Alessi's arms.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone