[Dixielandjazz] Sal Pace

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 4 21:26:30 PDT 2007

Dear Dave,
To add to the yours and Steve Barbone's comments regarding Sal Pace
herewith some additional information.
Another fine musician who didn't get to record enough.
Sal[vadore] Pace.
Born: White Plains, NY on 10 Aug 1910.
(Clarinet and saxophone.)
Studied clarinet from 1918.
Played with the Crescent City Five in New York (no records) from
1924-1928.
Worked and recorded with:
Joe Haymes Orch (1936). The band Haymes put together after Tommy Dorsey
took 11 of his men to form a band when he broke away from brother Jimmy.
Al Donahue (1940)
Bunny Berigan (1941) - no records.
Charlie Spivak (1942-45)
Returned to jazz and played with: Phil Napoleon (1949)
Una Mae Carlisle (1950)
Billy Butterfield, Yank Lawson, Jimmy McPartland (1951-53)
Three LP albums with Pee Wee Irwin (1953, 1955, 1956) and two with
Billy Maxted (1955 and 1956).
With Billy Maxted at Nicks.
I do not know if he is still with us at age 96.
Unfortunately, not very well represented in my collection.
Kind regards,
Bill.