[Dixielandjazz] 12/8 Time

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jul 2 13:00:50 PDT 2007

Jane,

For "Simple Time Signatures"  the bottom number of a time signature
just indicates which length of note is used for counting - in the
case of 4/4 case it is an Quarter note, and there are 4 of them per
measure. "Compound Time" like 12/8 would be 4 groups of three 8th
Triplets (dotted eight notes) per measure (unless I am
misinterpreting the system.) \xxx xxx xxx xxx\ so it would be a
waltz, but with an overall 4/4 feel. I don't know of an actual
composition in 12/8.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature sort of explains this. )

Diverting a bit further, I recently read an interview with Frank
Zappa - before he took music theory classes and learned "the rules"
he would write music that he thought "looked artistic" or
"interesting" - not knowing if could be actually playable!
http://home.online.no/~corneliu/mother1.htm

Dave Richoux