[Dixielandjazz] 12/8 Time

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:31:08 PDT 2007

Janie, you're thinking too much!

:)

The bottom number in a time signature is the type of note which is the
tactus--what note gets one beat.  In x/4, it's a quarter note.  in x/8, it's
the eighth note.  in x/2, half note...in x/1, whole note...in x/16, a 16th
note.  Yes, all those exist.

So, the bottom number has to be a value of note. (It is theoritically
possible to have a dotted half note get one beat, too, and I've seen that
indicated as x/2 1/2.  But that's extremely unusual.)

So, 12/8 time 12 beats in a bar, eighth note gets one beat.  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12.
But, due to an orchestral conductor's wimpiness about waving that arm so
much, it's often considered as a bar of 4, with three subdivisions per beat
  1(23) 2(23) 3(23) 4(23)
Thus, here's an instance where a dotted quarter gets one beat!
or, think 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a  as opposed to a "normal" 1and 2
and 3and 4and

That's why a lot of marches are written in 6/8--you still get the marching
feel of 2, but with the triplet feel of 6.  (Sempre Fidelis by Sousa is a
great example)

To further complicate things, if a march is played really fast, like a
circus march tempo, it is often easier for the conductor to beat 1 to the
bar instead of a really fast two.  So, every beat of the conductor is one
bar.

Another example is Beethoven's 5th Symphony, the first movement, the famous
"da da da dummm"

It's written in cut time, I believe, aka alla breve.  But, the tempo is
indicated as Half Note = whatever tempo. (mm90 maybe??) So, it's a lot
easier to conduct that in 1 instead of a REALLY fast two.  And, to make it
less tedious, conductors will group the measures together in a pattern of
3,4,5 or 6.  They'll actually mark it in the score so they know what
grouping to use.  So, a conductor, Beethoven's 5th, is conducting 4 (down,
left, right, up) but those are BARS not BEATS.

hmmm...the last time I tried conducting in a bar, I got beat.  badly.  but,
the bruises are gone now.

I hope this helps!

steve "how long has it been since my freshman theory classes???" hoog