[Dixielandjazz] 12/8 Time

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 09:39:39 PDT 2007

Hope I'm not boring all by revisiting the "Time" topic....but the 12/8 time
is puzzling to me when referred to as a waltz beat.  I am still not really
clear how this is going to work as a waltz. Steve's (Eupher Dude) pie chart
example is most excellent.....but i still can't fit everything together.

I can break the 12 into "3"beats per measure on top by pulsing 1,2,3,4 three
times....but I can't get the 8 to work!  To maintain any semblance of a
waltz, I can work in 6 beats on the bottom...(two beats on top to one on
bottom)...but not 8.  Even with a weird syncopation....just doesn't work for
me.  Not even for a jazz-type of waltz.

I was thinking back to more classical pieces such as Clair de Lune which has
a lot of irregular rhythms....and the beats are all intermingled
appropriately...but it sure isn't a waltz!

What am I missing?  (Contrary to the quote of "If you have to ask you'll
never know."...I often find that's really a GREAT way to find out!"

Thanks!  :-)

Jane Lynch

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com <mailto:janie39 at socal.rr.com>

Eupher Dude wrote:

12/8 is basically a waltz.

12/8 is the same as 4/4 with a triple subdivision, instead of duple.  123
223 323 423 instead of 12 22 32 42        6/8 is 2/4 with a triple

A pie chart can help.  The whole bar is one pie.  Cut it into 3 pieces, it's
a waltz.  4 pieces, a foxtrot (or whatever)  Then, subdivide it into duples
or triples.

steve