[Dixielandjazz] Modern Banjo was Wynton's Wild Man Blues

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 19:17:26 PST 2007

Steven D. is a close friend. We work together as often as possible
and he is indeed an awesome musician. But as for creative
improvisation, my personal ne plus ultra is Buddy Wachter, followed
closely by Paul Scavarda. I have had some wonderful musical
experiences on stage with each of them. What Buddy can do on banjo is
astounding, then he can pick up a tenor banjo, a guitar, or a
mandolin and do exactly the same. Buddy's education delved deeper
into "legitimate" music than Paul's. For instance, did you ever hear
Buddy play the Mozart Clarinet Concerto on banjo? Have you heard/seen
one of his performances as the featured soloist with a major pops
orchestra? Or have you heard him trade fours with any number of dyed-
in-the-wool beboppers in an after-hours jam session? He is the
consummate musician, not just string instrumentalist, in my humble
opinion.

Paul can play guitar and mandolin as well as banjo. I have seen him
re-tune his tenor banjo during a country song, in order to sound more
authentic on his solo. On one of our gigs together, I was doubling on
tuba and string bass. On one of the "tuba tunes" he leaned over
during someone else's solo and asked if I minded if he played my
bass. I have no problem with that at all. I make no pretense about my
abilities, so I welcome anyone who can play better than I. Well, in
all the years I have known Paul, I have never seen him play string
bass, yet he sounded like it was his primary double - very musical,
creative, in tune and technical. Bravo, Paul!
That's my 2¢, for what it's worth, folks.
Cheers,
John