[Dixielandjazz] POGO in Ought Eight (was I Go POGO too)

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jan 31 12:04:47 PST 2007

My best shot at parallels between the comics and jazz is that they're
both uniquely American art forms, born in popular culture. Don't want
to resurrect the old argument here about whether, when, how, and
through whom some comics and some jazz "grew" into high art.

Re nominating Pogo again and the old denial,  "If nominated, I will not
run. If elected, I will not serve," Gen. Sherman's disclaimer was in
earnest. Nowadays, the disclaimers are more adamant and revealed to be
less sincere, as in:

If nominated, I will not run.
If elected, I will not serve.
If served, I will not eat.