[Dixielandjazz] POGO in Ought Eight (was I Go POGO too)

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed Jan 31 12:30:20 PST 2007

Pogo for President would be a wise choice. After all, any native
marsupial that states "We has met the enemy and they is us," would have
my vote for introsprctive wisdom.
He could get some corporate bribe money from "Old Pouch" tobacco, and
he could do much for our energy diviesity efforts for being the
spokesman for turning garbage into fuel. He has eaten enough of it in
his time to prove that it fueled all his energy needs.
Pogo's creator Walt Kelly began as a Disney artist before going on his
own as a cartoon strip creator, and he was an associate of Ward Kimball
and others who were in the Great Mouse animation business as well as the
trad jazz business via the Firehouse 5 Plus 2. Some of ti had to rub
off. Yes, a certainty of a jazz connect there.
I note that several other cartoon strips use jazz references and name
drop jazz people time to time. The Family Circle by Bill Kean is one
such. My favorite cat, Garfield, has made great sport running gags of
accordians, drums, and other musical gag bits.
But Pogo remains unique as our only native marsupial mirth maker just
because he always made too much sense of the folly of politics and the
phony messiahs we vote to lead us...like lemmings...over the edge into
free fall folly.
Yes -- Pogo for President. Can dozens of swamp creatures be wrong? Not
any more than 500 legislators can be. Vote today, keep a Homo sapian away!