[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Help

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Jan 26 09:51:30 PST 2007

Jeff and all--

It depends on where the money was sent, I suspect. Maybe someone who
lives there now can point to the most dependable place to send money,
in terms of effective use of it. I trust the habitat/musicians village
project because it’s sponsored by Connick, Marsalis, and others and I
see TV coverage now and them that suggests work in progress. I don’t
have the website for this but it should be easy to Google.

The All About Jazz website had a list of some groups offering help last
September. Try
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=18936
Also, there’s the N.O. Musicians Hurricane Relief fund at nomhrf.org/3/
I hope those addresses are good. I believe that Tipitina’s also had a
fund and there are probably others.

My approach to giving last year was a check directly to a needy group
in the city. Plus I sent one of my late brother’s clarinets to a
musician who lost his horns in the storm. I’d like to give a benefit
concert here in Montgomery if I can find the right players and
sponsors.

I hope that folks continue to keep the city in mind. Outside of the
tourist areas, the neighborhoods are still a mess.

Charlie Suhor