[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Help

Jeffmatthews111 at aol.com Jeffmatthews111 at aol.com
Fri Jan 26 07:18:46 PST 2007

Hi All,

TWO TOPICS:

I was talking to a musician friend here in the UK yesterday. He has visited
New Orleans over 25 times and loves the jazz, the city and the people and has
a  good number of contacts there.

He was mentioning the money that had been raised around various jazz clubs
he attends that has been sent to New Orleans to help musicians, etc. However,
there have been no reports back to say if the money had actually arrived there
 and if it was being used to help the people it was intended for. He asked me
to  enquire of you guys on the list to see if you have heard of these funds
arriving  in New Orleans yet.

2ND TOPIC

I am putting together a website for my own band plus with links to useful
information and products which are of interest to 'our audience'. This is the
result of writing an email to a jazz magazine which was published in January
2007. Advice on content and direction sought.

My stance here in the UK is that rather than only, only, trying to get  young
people into this jazz style(s), that there are many musicians in the 40+  age
bracket who want to play this music and will get their instruments out of
the cellar/garage and start playing again if given the chance.  These  people
will then attend concerts and festivals to hear the 'good guys' and how  they
really play. They will buy countless C.D.'s as I do. They will also  enjoy
themselves and spread the message that OKOM is good music and fun. The  audience
will grow and more exposure will be given, if slowly, to this music.  Maybe TV
and Radio will catch on to good jazz again and lose (in the UK) its  love of
the money it can persuade young people to part with.

By the way, I invite young people to sit in with my band too when they can
play and do not offend the ears of the band or the audience or embarrass
themselves family or friends. Older people too get a look in as I did when I was
re-starting playing. I am so grateful for the opportunity I was given.

I suggested that bands in the UK could 'register' their acceptance of the
occaisional 'sitter in' who was competant to play and that there should be a
register of 'mentor musicians', not necessarily music teachers at all times, who
 would help with this education of new want to be players.  It seems to me
that this is the way many of our hero players learnt their trade - by sitting
next to great players who passed on the trade.

I hope my website, if I can get it built, will house this type of register.
Ideas, suggestions?

I also suggested that some of the hero players whose L.P's and C.D.'s we
have bought over the years and whose concerts we have attended might like to
'give a little back' by helping others coming up the ladder.  I see this
happening all of the time on the list via wonderful tips from Steve and Tom and  many
others. Thank you for that gentlemen.

By the way, I was talking with a great clarinet player from the trad era
(and current) recently, a real pro player and he was extremely generous in his
advice. It can be done.

OK, this is not the total answer, but it is a step, I feel in the right
direction.

Guys, please be positive in your feedback. Thank you.

Jeff Matthews