[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland" as a pejorative term

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 15:48:45 PST 2007

Hi folks:  hear is an example of what Steve is talking about, although
the word Dixieland is not used in my discussion, and for the reason
cited by Steve in his post.  I try at all costs to avoid the negative
connotations associated with the word when approaching potential
clients that have already been poisoned against the name and the genre
by previous generations.   This short conversation however will show
you just how ignorant and or naive, many of the so called Talent buyers
and event co-ordinators are about music.

I sent this lady our electronic press kit with audio samples, photos,
and every thing she could possibly need to determine if she would like
to hire the band for an appearance at their event which is most
definitely suited for inviting us to participate  note her first reply,
  WE FOCUS MORE ON DANCE BANDS.   She obviously did not listen to the
music at all, or would not know a Dance band if it bit her in the butt.

I of course gave her reasonable quotes for an appearance there based
upon what I know they say they pay bands, and yes we were definitely at
the top end of their scale and often well above it she could have made
an offer if they really wanted to do so and it might have been possible
to work out a suitable situation.   However she is obviously shopping
merely upon cost and would rather hire the cheapest bands she can find
rather than discussing how she could actually afford to get a larger
and higher caliber act.

Had I started by calling us a Dixieland Band I am certain I would have
gotten no reply or an offer for $250.00 if I could convince her that
Dixieland music was Dance band music.   They just don't know folks.

Dear Tom:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Fiesta Days.  The press kit is
impressive, but I am not sure if Fiesta Days would be the right venue
for your group. We focus more on dance bands.  However, just out of
curiosity, what kind of $$$$ are you asking?

My reply:

Thank you for the reply, we are a Dance Band  and play almost all
genres of Dance music, The New Orleans style of Dance music has people
Dancing in the streets all over the world and has since 1906 when Jazz
Dance bands were first created.

If you take a few moments and look at our SET List of songs, which
stretch over a 100 year period of American Music it becomes quite
obvious that we play danceable music.    We can also adapt to
electronic styles if needed since many of the band members are multi-
instrumentalist and vocalist.    You can also click on the audio icons
and listen to at least six songs of danceable music in several styles.

We are a top level touring International band of professionals who do
this for a living and therefore compete with quality not price, we are
not cheap but we are certainly reasonable and try to work with every
organization possible to arrive at a reasonable price for the situation
and travel and expenses of our operation to present exactly what the
client wants.  The distance, time, date and length of the performances
determine the costs necessary to mobilize this great show and deliver a
high quality performance every time.

Her reply:

Dear Tom:
Thank you very much for your reply.  Unfortunately, your prices are far
too much for our budget.  I have passed your info on to the Special
Events Coordinator for the City's  Concert Series, thinking perhaps she
might be interested.

Wishing you all the best.

Respectfully,

I hope this is helpful to some of you in trying to book gigs in your
markets,  ya gotta work hard to get the Money:))
So many band leaders would simply say oh well if all you have is
$250.00 we can do it.   Then the guy might show up with three guy
instead of the 8 in the photo of his band, or worse yet take all 8 of
them for that low offer.

I have another major event that has a policy of paying $150.00 for a
Band for their event every year, It does not matter if there are two
people or it's a solo act or if there are fifteen in the band the pay
is the same :))  They ask us every year to perform and every year I
tell them no.  Heck I even tried to tell them to hire all ten of us as
one man bands and we would do it ,  nope not the policy, gotta do it
her way or no way,  I choose NO WAY.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins