[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland" as a pejorative term

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 24 09:10:32 PST 2007

Steve wrote:
Right on, Jim. There are many Americans who use the word "Dixieland" and or
"Dixielander" as a pejorative term to disrespect the genre. Perhaps that's
why many who play Dixieland describe it as something else. Some get very
defensive about the word.

And, I add:
At the very beginning of this mailing list there were some that joined that
really, really hated the word.  So much that they would only write the
letter "D"!  I'm surprised they even joined DJML, seeing what the initials
stand for.   :>

Steve continues:
At many of Barbone Street's summertime park concert prospecting efforts, we
are faced with presenters who first say to us "Dixieland?

And, I add:
In our situation, after 39 years of steady performing, we don't have to
often explain who we are or what we do. (I know, sounds snotty, but it's a
fact!) However, if need be, I just send along (thank goodness for the
Internet & photo attachments!) the photo of us being saluted by the Spanish
Prince & his bride during their wedding.  What's the saying about a picture
being worth...etc?  If our name isn't recognized, saying "you know, the
Royal Wedding band" does the trick.

We don't have the word Dixieland in our name (Canal Street Jazz Band), and
actually here in Europe New Orlean's Jazz means more to the unwashed masses
than the word Dixieland.  There, again, we get into a pickle, as NOJ doesn't
mean the same to youse guys as it does to folks over here.  It would just
conjure up the idea of music played by Louis Armstrong, The Saints, etc.

We've found what counts, really, is does it swing or not?....not what it's
called.

Jim