[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 18:51:04 PST 2007

Hi Folks:

I happen to be the Booking agent for one of the most successful Cartoon
music bands in the History of Music, which when you read about them
following you might just (MIGHT)  get the picture straight and
understand what Steve and I are actually talking about and not dissing
Cartoon music at all:  As a matter of fact we have both spoken highly
of it, and only tried to reiterate that it was very influential on
later forms of Jazz, Hot, Cold Smooth, Retro, Avante Garde, or what
ever form or style that rings your personal chimes.

Have any of you ever seen the Block Buster Movie "SHREK"  a modern day
great Cartoon featuring the music of Sly And the Family Stone, a group
responsible for writing and recording multi Platinum Albums before they
adapted their music and hit songs for this movie.

The folks making cartoon today are using music that is more appropriate
to the audiences they are catering to in today's world and most of the
animators and cartoon developers today are guess what "YOUNG PEOPLE"
who did not grow up with this music and I would venture to say some
have never even heard it or of it since they are solidly in the
computer world.

So in my hopefully final words on the subject, Those two band play very
well and excellent music "Hot Jazz" to some, but not Hot Jazz to others
who have a different interpretation of what HOT JAZZ is, and we are all
entitled to our own opinions and tastes and should not have to argue
about it, we are usually ALL correct, just listening differently to and
for different things in OKOM  which all gets lumped into Jazz.

I have played on festivals where there were 10,000 people paid to hear
JAMES BROWN PLAY JAZZ,  and IKE TURNER, AND B.B. KING, and Clarence
Gatemouth Brown,  who did play some very Hot Jazz when he wanted to yet
remained a BLUES Legend.

Funny thing happens when you travel the world in the music industry,
You get bigger ears and a greater appreciation of and for all kinds of
music that falls well into the genre of Jazz.  I tend to find that if
it is soulful, swings, and is played by Black Musicians from the USA it
is pretty much considered Jazz by the rest of the world.   I would not
be surprised in the future to see HIP HOP AND RAP BILLED ON SOME JAZZ
FESTIVALS,  BUT I HOPE NOT :))

Ask almost any 10-13 year old kid you meet in the USA what Jazz is and
they might tell you the name of a Basketball team from Utah or some
place, but they have no idea what Jazz Music is of any kind.   So who's
fault is that ?  I have taught my grandkids to know that the music they
hear behind the classic cartoons is JAZZ, but then they are privileged
kids they are in a Jazz family.   It is a lot easier to get them to sit
down and watch the old classic cartoons and teach them about Jazz than
it is to just try and hook them with the music alone.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins